jeudi 11 juin 2009

Trop de choses à faire

I was out walking a few minutes ago, enjoying the sunshine (yes, at 9:30 PM…because, in Paris, the sun doesn’t set until about 10…although most stores close long before that), and I found myself pondering the “list of goals” that my study abroad program asked me to create at the very beginning of our orientation week. At the time, I wrote spectacularly broad things, like “Improve my ability to speak and understand French” and “Learn more about French culture.” It was kind of a deer-in-the-headlights moment for me (they gave us about two minutes to write down our goals and pass them forward), so none of my responses were overly creative. As I walked this evening—and was nearly run down by an oncoming bicyclist (a daily experience for me)—I thought about some slightly more interesting, specific goals that I hope to fulfill before the end of my journey. And, now that I’m back in my dorm room, I figure…why not publish them in my blog for the entire world to see?

So, before I leave the City of Lights, I will…

…go at least a week without needing to consult my “Paris Pratique” map. So far, I’m not sure I’ve managed even a day.

…have the ability to get off the metro without stumbling around in bewilderment, searching for the appropriate “SORTIE” (exit) sign. It’s more confusing than you might think. I promise.

…never again board the metro without first verifying that it is, in fact, the correct line. This has already happened to me twice, and I can scarcely describe the sense of disappointment you feel when you realize that you are now twice as far away from home as you were before boarding the metro in the first place.

…learn that I CANNOT transfer to line 3 at the République station. How many times must I see the large red “X” on the map before this sinks into my brain?!

…enter the “W.C.” (bathroom) in my dorm JUST ONCE without tripping over the tiny step in the doorway. Honestly. Who thought that was a good idea?!

…understand why the little, purple bakery near Raspail refuses to sell me a café crème unless I also purchase a pastry…even though they price them individually on the menu.

…sample escargots.

…remember that, for whatever reason, European pop cans—unlike their American counterparts—are weighted on the bottom…so they make you think you still have a sip or two left…when, actually, the can is empty. Next time, I will not be fooled!

…answer “oui” to the question, “Avez-vous une carte Franprix?” (“Do you have a Franprix card?”) when I’m at the check-out in my local grocery store. In reality, this goal will never be realized…but I like to dream big.

…figure out why, on certain days, there is no hot water in the morning…and, on other days, the water from the faucet is hot enough to brew tea.

…decipher at least one word that the man at the front desk says to me, despite the fact that I’m not even entirely convinced that he speaks French. Just ONE word. That’s all I want.

…no longer fear the automatic doors in the metro stations, even though I’ve seen them mercilessly crush several people for no reason. I’m getting a bit better at quelling this fear, but there’s always that lingering thought: Will I be the next victim? Seriously. These doors are probably the scariest things I’ve encountered in Paris thus far (aside from, perhaps, the string-wielding fiends in Montmartre).

…splurge on an expensive pastry from either Laduree or Angelina’s and not feel bad about the fact that it cost me the same amount as about five meals in the local cafeteria.

And…the list could go on forever, I think. Of course, these are just my practical, day-to-day goals (excluding visiting all of the wonderful sights I intend to see). You’ll be pleased to know that I did meet one of my previous goals this morning: “…decide which metro station is the most disgusting.” The winner, you ask? Chatelet - Les Halles. It was a very tough decision…but, when I passed a man shamelessly urinating on the central flight of steps into the station, I knew I had made the right choice. Most disgusting metro station…without a doubt.

Well, I suppose that’s all for now. Better get going on that list of goals!

Oh, and here are a few more photo albums, as well:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2036205&id=69102962&l=f5dcfde07a

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2036291&id=69102962&l=c340dad8ce

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2036450&id=69102962&l=b26eb801c1

Until next time…!

2 commentaires:

  1. As usual, I'm enthralled by your writing. I'm surprised you had the restraint to hold off on buying expensive pastries. Just wait until we come...you'll be fulfilling that goal quickly.
    Also, the metro near the apartment we're renting...does that happen to be Chatelet? (I'm almost afraid to ask.)

    I look forward to your next installment of Adventures in Paris. :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. my NOM is HAPP Y TA O.13 juin 2009 à 17:05

    andrew.
    i've lost the will to live while attempting to post comments in this text box....but basically what i tried to communicate last night was that there's nothing offensive whatsoever with r-rated urination in an extremely public setting.

    also, i like the idea of itty, bitty goals....good idea! i'm glad you're reaching some of them by and by! :)

    and i'm glad you're enjoying paris so much! that's wonderful!

    RépondreSupprimer